One man was arrested Wednesday night after an afternoon shooting in northwest Boonville injured two people.

The Boonville Police Department was dispatched to a reported shooting at 1:05 p.m. on Wednesday, according to a news release. Two people were hurt in the shooting, who were taken to University Hospital in Columbia for treatment, according to the department. Both victims are expected to survive, Prosecutor Eric Phelps said in a news release. One of them was treated and released, and the other was still in the hospital in critical condition, Boonville Police Chief Bobby Welliver said Thursday morning.

Derrick A. Young, 30, of Marshall, is charged with two counts of first-degree assault, armed criminal action and unlawful use of a weapon. Young has prior felony convictions for assault and domestic assault in Boone and Cooper counties.

One of the victims told officers at the scene that Young shot them, he was driving a red “Jeep-style vehicle” and lived in Marshall, according to a probable cause statement. Young knew both victims, who were each shot twice while at Harley Park, a victim told police, according to the statement.

Missouri State Highway Patrol Troopers found Young driving a red Dodge Journey SUV in Marshall at 4:22 p.m. When they tried to stop him, he drove away for a short distance before leaving the car and running away on foot. Troopers caught Young after a foot chase, according to the statement.

Young told police he was not in Boonville on Wednesday and denied shooting anyone. He said he had been fishing with his friend, and that he had let another friend borrow his SUV earlier in the day, according to the statement.

An emergency alert sent out at 2 p.m. Wednesday cautioned people within 2 miles of Harley Park to lock their doors and vehicles. The alert was lifted just before 6 p.m.

Boonville schools were on modified lockdown in the afternoon, but students were dismissed at the regular times, according to the district. The schools and parents made alternate plans for students who live near Harley Park, but other students were dismissed with regular procedures.

The district learned about the situation around 2 p.m. Wednesday and worked with limited information, Assistant Superintendent Fred Smith said at a regularly-scheduled school board meeting Wednesday evening. The district will discuss how to be better prepared for similar issues, he said.