In 1876, the Office of Special Agent for forest research was created in the Department of Agriculture to asses the state of the forests in the US. This office was expanded into the newly formed Division of Forestry in 1881.

The next change came in 1891 when the Forest Reserve Act authorized withdrawing land from public domain as forest reserves which would be managed by the Department of the Interior. Then, in 1901, the Division of Forestry was renamed the Bureau of Forestry.

The most changes occurred in 1905 with the Transfer Act of 1905. The General Land Office, which was in the Department of the Interior, transferred management of the forest reserves to the Bureau of Forestry which was part of the Department of Agriculture. When all the transfers were done, the name was changed to the Forest Service.

In 1876, the Office of Special Agent for forest research was created in the Department of Agriculture to asses the state of the forests in the US. This office was expanded into the newly formed Division of Forestry in 1881. The next change came in 1891 when the Forest Reserve Act authorized withdrawing land from public domain as forest reserves which would be managed by the Department of the Interior. Then, in 1901, the Division of Forestry was renamed the Bureau of Forestry. The most changes occurred in 1905 with the Transfer Act of 1905. The General Land Office, which was in the Department of the Interior, transferred management of the forest reserves to the Bureau of Forestry which was part of the Department of Agriculture. When all the transfers were done, the name was changed to the Forest Service.