Many veterans did their duty to their country, but never received their earned military medals and ribbons before the were honorably discharged.

Roger Marsh and Jim Webb, both of Macon are offering assistance to veterans and their families to begin the process to get the medals and ribbons by filling out the paperwork.

“I’ve been around the military,” said Marsh. “I served in the Army for three years. I’m not an expert, this is just something I like to do to help the Veterans.”

On Saturday, Nov. 2, a free workshop for veterans was held at the Macon County Historical Society Museum on Highway 63, south of Macon. Another workshop is planned for this Saturday, Nov. 9, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Veterans who bring a copy of their DD214, or discharge Certificate or Separation Notice will be helped to complete an SF180 Application to request their initial issue of awards.

The application and a copy of the discharge will be sent to the National Personal Records Center-Military Records in St. Louis.

“St. Louis will review the information and contact them,” said Marsh.
Vendor catalogs are also available that specialize in military awards and accessories for those who have already received their awards, but may want to purchase replacements.

“Many Veterans frame their medals and ribbons,” he said. “It’s a neat thing to do to show your pride.”