Feb. 15, 2013
Love is in the air. Yes it's Valentine's Day, a holiday that celebrates love and is observed by exchanging candy, cards and gifts. I was thinking of sharing some historic facts about Valentine's Day with you, but as I was doing the research I began to nod off. So I thought better of it and decided to share some more current statistics.
A few fun facts about Valentine’s Day!
- Eight billion Sweetheart Conversation Hearts are manufactured each year by the New England Confectionery Company.
- The average number of wedding proposals on Valentine’s Day each year is 220,000.
- Don’t forget Fido! Consumers spend over $360 million on Valentine’s Day gifts for their pets each year. (I'm one of those crazy pet lovers and Oliver and Olivia will be sporting new Valentine bandanas this year. )
- Consumers are expected to put $3.5 billion towards a romantic evening on the town.
- The average expected amount, per person, that Americans will shell out for the holiday is $126.
Interesting though, 82% of people polled said they would like an "experience" rather than a gift for the romantic holiday.
I have an idea for a Valentine Day "experience". Take your significant other to Love Notes, sponsored by the Boonville River Rats. This is the eleventh year for this "Musical Valentine". This year’s production is titled, "Love's Ups and Downs" and features a local cast of original characters singing your favorite love songs, old and new. Turner Hall has been transformed into the Riverfront Inn and you don't want to miss all the music and laughs that take place right in front of the elevator (Get it? Ups and Downs)
Performances are Friday, February 15 and Saturday February 16, 8:00 PM and Sunday, February 17, 2:00 PM at Turner Hall, 518 Vine Street. Admission is $8, Seniors and Students $6. Dessert is included in the price of admission. Tickets are available at Family Shoe Store and at the door. Experience local this holiday- play local, shop local, and Go Boonville!