Howard County Prosecutor Deborah Riekhof filed former charges Friday afternoon against Jeffrey Leighton, a 42-year-old male from Howard Country, on first-dgree domestic assault, a Class A felony, and armed criminal action, which is an unclassified felony.
Leighton, who was listed in good condition this morning at University Hospital in Columbia, began a six-hour standoff with the Howard County Sheriff's Department, New Franklin Police Department and Missouri State Highway Patrol after allegedly stabbing his wife, Windy Leighton, also 42 of the home, Thursday around 6 p.m.
According to Howard County Sheriff Charlie Polson, Leighton allegedly stabbed his wife with a kitchen knife as she showered at their rural home at 158 County Road 435. Polson said the three teenagers said their parents had not been arguing.
Polson said first responders, medics and Howard County deputies met Mrs. Leighton and her two daughters at the Snoddy's Store parking lot, where they discovered Mrs. Leighton had suffered two stab wounds to her left side. At that point, Polson said it was determined that Mrs. Leighton be life-flighted to the University of Missouri Hospital by helicopter.
After transporting Mrs. Leighton to the hospital, Polson said he activated the Missouri State Highway Patrol team to come and assist in gaining entrance into the residence. After the protocol of trying to reach Mr. Leighton on his cell phone and home phone along with verbal commands, Polson said it was determined that Mr. Leighton would not exit the residence.
Polson said the next step for their protocol was to use a robotic camera arm to knock out a few windows and look inside the house because of the severity of Mr. Leighton having a weapon or weapons.
Medics were on scene and it was determined that Mr. Leighton had barricaded himself in the bathroom in the bathtub, Polson said.
After it was determined that the robotic camera was unable to see Mr. Leighton in the residence, Polson said the next step was to apply tear gas to the residence. At 12:30 a.m., Polson said Mr. Leighton exited the house and surrendered himself to law enforcement after the tear gas was applied to the residence.
After Mr. Leighton had exited the house, Polson said Mr. Leighton had self-inflicted stab wounds to his abdomen, wrist and his neck area and was transported by ambulance to the University of Missouri Hospital, where he was taken into surgery.
A hospital spokesperson said Mrs. Leighton was no longer in the hospital as of Saturday afternoon.