Boonville Daily News - Boonville, MO
Massachusetts reporter Joe Reppucci's news and resources for those who love pets
The Ruff Report: Dogs and Food
email print
About this blog
Joe Reppucci of Lexington, Mass., writes about dogs and keeping them a healthy part of the family. He has worked as a reporter and editor on major daily newspapers in the Boston area for more than 30 years and is a graduate of Lexington High School ...
The Dog Blog
Joe Reppucci of Lexington, Mass., writes about dogs and keeping them a healthy part of the family. He has worked as a reporter and editor on major daily newspapers in the Boston area for more than 30 years and is a graduate of Lexington High School and of Suffolk University in Boston. He writes often about nutrition, behavior and saving money on pet supplies and insurance.
Recent Posts
Sept. 15, 2012 12:01 a.m.

parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}">
This common artificial sweetener is killing dogs
A common artificial sweetener found in sugar-free baked goods, candy, oral hygiene products and chewing gum can be a killer if ingested by a dog, the FDA is warning.
Xylitol, which is only intended for use by people, can cause sudden drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia), seizures and liver failure if ingested by dogs, the Food and Drug Administration says. Depression, loss of coordination and vomiting are signs that a pet may have ingested the artificial sweetener, and symptoms may occur within minutes to days of it.
Story continues below
A book about a rescue dog
that will touch your heart
THE HUNT OF HER LIFE, a full-color book by newspaper journalist and MySetterSam.com publisher Joseph A. Reppucci, is must reading for animal lovers of all ages. It has 60 color photos of dogs to illustrate the compelling story of Samantha, an unwanted rescue dog adopted at age 2 by Mr. Reppucci. Travel with them along a trail of life filled with surprising twists, sudden turns, mystery and even what some call a miracle. And when the journey is finished, you may never look at people and their pets, motherhood - and perhaps even God - in the same way. THE HUNT OF HER LIFE will take you on a captivating journey - a trip like no other - that will touch your heart.
For more details and to order, go to the
MySetterSam E-store
Also find The Hunt of Her Life on:
Story continues here
Owners should consult a veterinarian or pet poison control center immediately for advice if they know or suspect that their pet has ingested a product containing xylitol, the FDA advises.
Dr. Eric Dunayer, a veterinarian at the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, says dogs who eat larger amounts of items sweetened with xylitol are especially at risk of death. "These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product,” he states in a media release. “Therefore, it is crucial that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately."
Dr. Dunayer, who specializes in toxicology at the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center, says even small amounts of xylitol can be harmful to dogs, and they may not show signs of illness for as long as 12 hours after ingestion. “Our concern used to be mainly with products that contain xylitol as one of the first ingredients," he states. "However, we have begun to see problems developing from ingestion of products with lesser amounts of this sweetener."
In 2009, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, Ill., managed 2,690 cases of accidental xylitol ingestion. This is a nearly 40 percent increase in the number of cases involving xylitol-containing products from just three years ago, and 30 times as many cases from 2004, when the center managed less than 100 incidents of xylitol ingestion.
"One explanation as to the increase in the number of pets accidentally exposed to xylitol may simply be an increase in availability," Mindy Bough, vice president of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, states in a media release. "Xylitol seems to be becoming more popular in food products because it is a useful sugar substitute for diabetics and has been shown to decrease the development of cavities in humans."
More reports about dogs and food:
Toxic levels of chemical found in dog foods
Pricey food may actually be bad for your pet
Beware of this sickening way to feed your pet
Here's a better way to feed your pet
Cheap pet food leads to costly health problems
Higher price no guarantee of pet food's quality
The unnatural truth about dog food
Help your pudgy pooch control weight
Appetite ferocious for premium pet food
Your dog and the peanut butter recall
Chocolate, candies mean danger for dogs
Another warning about chicken jerky treats
More pets being told 'eat your veggies'
More news about dogs and food
According to the ASPCA, other artificial sweeteners made for human consumption can also make pets ill. Sweeteners such as sucralose (Splenda), aspartame (NutraSweet) and saccharin (Sweet N' Low) can cause gastrointestinal upset if eaten in significant quantities, so it is still a good idea to refrain from offering pets foods contained these sweeteners.
So easy to read. You choose the topic!
Adoption | Food | Health | Money | Rescue
Safety & Behavior | Surveys & Studies
Like MySetterSam on Facebook

Recent Posts

    latest blogs

    • Community
    • National

    Events Calendar